Juventus shot-stopper Gianluigi Buffon spoke to media a little over 24 hours ahead of one of the highest profile game in his career: the Champions League final in Berlin that pits the bianconeri against Barcelona
Hours after landing in Berlin the Juventus boss, his shotstopper Gianluigi Buffon, and central defender Leonardo Bonucci held the ritualistic press conference ahead of tomorrow’s Champions League final in Berlin where the Serie A champions will vie for Europe’s ultimate prize against the blaugrana from the Catalan capital (20:45 CET). Here is what Buffon said, as reported by TuttoJuve.com:
How badly have you dreamed to play this game?
“I has been an objective of mine, that’s for sure, one that my teammates and the club have been looking to achieve in these years. Perhaps we didn’t think to achieve it this year, for many reasons. The first, and most important, may be the techincal change at the helm which may have set this objective back two to three years. Instead it arrived unexpectedly this season and as such it has given us all great joy.”
Can emotions overcome tactical discipline in a match like tomorrow?
“The emotional component will play a part, surely. However, both teams have players with enough experience and temperament to keep emotions under control. Therefore I imagine that from the beginning, from one side or the other, we will experience some fighting spirit but over the 90 mintues both sides will show their true colours.”
Zambrotta played for both teams said that Barcelona is unbeatable at home but a lacking of something away. Berlin is a very Italian stadium. May it shift the balance?
“I believe that neither team will play at home. In a final the true values will come out. As I said before, Barca comes out of the blocks as favourites, deservedly so, because they have great individual skill. Effectively, a team with Messi, Suarez and Neymar, with Iniesta behind them is always the favourite – it wouldn’t be otherwise with players of that calibre. However, when you meet a team with players like Tevez, Bonucci, Marchisio, Pirlo, Pogba and others I think that this team won’t necessarily be the sacrificial victim. I’m firmly convinced of this.”
What is left of Conte’s three-year reign at Juventus, and has he told you anything?
“Conte congratulated us via an SMS, which pleased us very much. What’s left of his on this team is that which has consecrated us into being Italy’s strongest team: determination, ferociousness and the tactical knowledge to play at our best. These are virtues that with work we have made our own, and I hope it will take quite some time to lose them once more.”
What do you make of Ter Stegen season?
“One accumulates experience by playing matches. He’s played very well this season, confirming what people said of him while he was at Borussia Monchengladbach. He won me over at the time and my hunch was confirmed this year. He’s young, I wish him the best and a long and victorious career… starting the day after tomorrow.”
What did your children ask you for?
“I have a son who’s a Messi fan and one who is a Neymar fan… they will struggle with that, however they would be saddened if we lose: they’re Juventus fans. They would have preferred that we met Manchester City or Real Madrid.”
How much will the spectators influence the match?
“There are no rules, we will live by the moment. In Madrid, for example, the fans are very emotional, they’re more vested in the match than in chanting. It’s possible that the spectators can be an instrument that gives more experience to some teammates with their vocal support.”
Would a win tomorrow be the greatest joy of your career?
“The fact that Juventus has always been represented by great champions gives us the self-confidence that we’re not here by chance. History says that Juventus must always achieve the Champions League semifinals. We have a great responsibility on our shoulders. If things go well it would be fantastic. However, I won’t tear my hair out, out of madness if I win. I would be happy and then after a month and a half, we’ll start over again. This is the humour with which I face this challenge. We’re representing Italy’s best: it would be extraordinary but also not a total aberration.”
The post Buffon: “We’re not here to be Barça’s sacrificial victims” appeared first on Italian Football Daily.
from Italian Football Daily http://ift.tt/1eTP5ne
via IFTTT berita selengkapnya Follow @jadwalliga